Sunday, February 26, 2012

chocolate cream whoopie pies

Just the name sounds fun...though if you are from the NE United States, Whoopie Pies are nothing new for you. Finally making their way down here to Texas these little treats look pretty darn delectable. The other day when searching for ideas for this week I stumbled upon a recipe for easy Whoopie Pies. The reason they are easy is because they come from a cake box! (The trick is making the cake as the box directions dictate but leave out the water...I used a Duncan Hines) The whole recipe (frosting included) was way too easy, seeing how even I was able to make them.

The biggest trick honestly through this process was finding a good recipe for frosting. Since the cake part was so easy I wanted to try and challenge myself. The best recipe I found out is called "butter-cream frosting" and finally after searching for what seemed like hours I ended up finding a great (and easy) one from Martha Stewart oddly enough, that I slightly altered. After a few tries I think I finally have us a winner:



Chocolate Whoopie Pies 
(Following instructions from Betty Crocker cake box)
• included cake mix
• 3 large eggs
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 2 sticks butter (softened)
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/8 tsp salt
• preheat oven to 375°F



Follow the instructions from the back of the cake box, basically mixing the included mix, 3 eggs and vegetable oil together using an electric mixer. Using a spoon, place small amounts of batter on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. (*This batter is definitely thick, the first time around I had difficulty using a spoon so the second time around I used a pastry bag and "piped" the batter making it much easier!)
Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until you can poke it with a toothpick and the insides don't stick anymore.


While the whoopie pies are cooking and cooling, using the electric mixer beat the 2 sticks of butter until it forms a nice and creamy consistency. The begin adding powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time mixing thoroughly.  Add vanilla extract and salt and continue to mix. 

Add small amounts of frosting to half of the whoopie pies and sandwich them to the other halves. 

Now the best part, grab a whoopie pie, open your mouth and take a big bite! Hopefully you enjoy this delicious treat :)



No comments:

Post a Comment